Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pinterest Inspired

I’m kind of hooked on Pinterest. Well, okay, I LOVE Pinterest. And I know we all joke about all the things we pin that we never do or use, and yes that IS true. But….it’s kind of like window shopping or wishing…….. or for just in case, right? It doesn’t cost anything to pin and save it for later. And it’s so fun to look at!

Facebook or Twitter has never interested or enticed me. Guess I’m not that social,(in that way anyway)? Blogging and Pinterest are more my style. I really do refer back to my Pinterest boards (or Joy’s when I tell her to pin something so I can pin it too). So far most of my Pinterest inspired creations that I have actually followed through with have been recipes or educational type activities. And so it is again.

We haven’t actually stuck to this plan with the hospital trip and a/c woes, but Joy and I decided we were going to try to do one fun activity or “out of the ordinary thing” each summer day. Nothing fancy, just something.

So early last week (pre-hospital visit), we referred to our Pinterest board and decided to try milk painting on toast.

You need these three ingredients:  Milk, food coloring and bread.



Pour just a dab of milk in small bowls and add your food coloring of choice.





Then you simply paint your toast!

Joy was, of course, more artistic with hers.....





.....but Luke had a ball with his too.





And while Joy was more artistic, Luke definitely won the award for eating more of the finished product than anyone else.







Then the next night, I again referred to my “What’s For Dinner” board and cooked Quick Tortellini Bake. Our dinner was very simple as I only added garlic bread. We had leftovers, so we also enjoyed it the next night. It was delicious! For some reason, I never think about taking photos of food while I’m preparing it. So you can see some is already missing from this dish.



Here’s the pretty photo from Pinterest (Click on the Pinterest link to take you to the pin).



And the recipe:

  • 20 oz frozen or refrigerated tortellini
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 24-oz jar jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice
  • 3 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
  • ½ teas garlic powder
  • ½ teas dried basil
  • ½ teas dried oregano
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one large baking dish or two small ones with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the tortellini as per the package. Drain.
Meanwhile, stir together the spaghetti sauce, cream cheese, milk, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil, and oregano.
Pour the tortellini into prepared baking dish and cover with sauce mixture. Toss a bit to combine. Sprinkle the mixture with the mozzarella cheese and the remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

Don’t you just love Pinterest? This is also your personal invitation to come follow me on Pinterest......you will find the link on my sidebar!  :)

I’d love to come check out your boards too! Have a great day and Happy Pinning!

6 comments:

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

Mama,

I had a lot of fun with the bread...it's a cool idea!

Tortellini is fun to say. :)

OH yes, I love me some Pinterest. :)

I love you! 8!
Love,
Joy :)

Lois Christensen said...

I love Pinterest also! That looks like a great project for kids! AND your dinner looks really good. Going to "pin" it! Enjoy!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Looks like so much fun!!

Cindi said...

I love Pinterest also, so many good ideas. I try a lot of crafts I find. The pins you tried look like they were a hit!
Be blessed,
Cindi

Sharon said...

That looks like a fun thing to do and I enjoyed it.
Prayers for Joy and good news will come.
have a wonderful weekend and safe 4th of July.
Hugs.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh I love!!! pinterest and I have done many of the things I have pinned..whoever dreamt this up was genius..no more folders of papers to have to search through..love the bread one..great for picky eaters..they can decorate and then eat it..I hope Joy is feeling better..she has been in my prayers..please tell her I said hi;)