Thursday, November 4, 2010

Babies - A Movie Review



Last week on our "Just Us Girls" day, Joy and I watched this movie.  I'm so glad Joy remembered about it, because we really liked it. 

First of all, I should warn you that it does have cultural and maternal nudity in it.  Please take that into consideration as to who views it with you, if you decide to watch it.

Here's the synopsis on the movie:

Everybody loves... BABIES. This visually stunning new movie simultaneously follows four babies around the world - from first breath to first steps. From Mongolia to Namibia to San Francisco to Tokyo, BABIES joyfully captures on film the earliest stages of the journey of humanity that are at once unique and universal to us all. The children are, respectively, in order of on-screen introduction: Ponijao, who lives with her family near Opuwo, Namibia; Bayarjargal, who resides with his family in Mongolia, near Bayanchandmani; Mari, who lives with her family in Tokyo, Japan; and Hattie, who resides with her family in the United States, in San Francisco.



We especially enjoyed it because Mongolia borders Inner Mongolia, where Luke is from, and it gave us insight on the culture.  Since we visited the Inner Mongolia Museum, we were somewhat familiar with alot of this.  It is very likely that Luke has Mongolian blood running through him, and many of them are shepherds living in yurts.   Not to mention, that little boy from Mongolia (on the movie) is just adorable!

The movie parallels the four babies and what's happening in their lives during that first year of life.  It is so interesting!  Be warned, there's not much talking, as a matter of fact, very few words.  But no words are necessary.  Watch the trailer above for a little peek at what you'll see in the movie!  Then, if you're interested in watching it, right now you can get it at Redbox or it's an instant view on Netflix (if you have an account with them).   

If you love babies and would be interested in viewing other cultures and how they relate to their babies, you'll love this movie!  AND....the babies are just adorable!  :)       

11 comments:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

I watched this on the way home from China. :) Really liked it!!!

Kimberly said...

Tammy, it looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

This is one of my all time favorite movies! I think all the babies are adorable. :) I never saw the poster, that picture of Hattie on it is so cute!

I love you! 8!

Love,
Joy :)

Audrey said...

I am so looking forward to this movie. I love babies !! I plan to buy this movie for my daughter...she has my maternal instincts....we can hardly get through a shopping trip. We peek in every stroller.

Tanya said...

Hi Tammy,
I saw this movie's producer on Oprah and the movie looked so good. Now you gave it great reviews...I think I'll take your lead and do a mom/daughter movie date! How special!
Hoping you are having fun fall days. Getting cooler here in Kansas..very windy today. Guess Mr. Winter is on his way.
Are you getting ready for a blessed Thanksgiving with that new special little Luke? What a wonderful time that will be!
How is your bathroom project coming!? :0)

Simple Home said...

It sounds like a wonderful movie. I'd never even heard of it before.
Blessings,
Marcia

Annie said...

Oh wow! That looks great! Em just LOVES babies, even at 4 years old! What do you think about a 4 year old watching it and where do I find it??

Farmchick said...

That looks like an awesome movie...I MUST watch it. Thanks for sharing. Come say hi.

Sharon said...

That sure did look like a great movie. I have never heard of it but i will watch for it.
Have a great weekend.

At Home With Amy said...

This would definitely be worth watching. Thanks so much Tammy for sharing the clip with us.
Hugs,
AMY

ourchinagirls said...

I watched this movie on the plane home from China...9.4.2010 LOVED IT!! I had three of my Chinese born daughters with me and I was crying like a baby!