Wednesday, July 14, 2010

American Girl Draws Crowd!

While in China, we really had a great time in Hohhot (Inner Mongolia). The little park down the road across the street from our hotel (home away from home) became a familiar place to spend the late afternoons/evenings. We'll always have special memories from there. It was full of Chinese culture and we loved watching people and even enjoyed the people watching us! :) Yes, we got lots of stares, but the people were very very good to us. From a post in China, I told you about Joy dancing with the Chinese culture dancers in the park. Some days there were just a handful of dancers there, and at other times there were more. Joy watched them and I could see her wheels turning wanting to try it. Well...on the third night of watching them, she asked if she could ask to join them. Her dad was a little reluctant, but finally agreed. I think he wasn't sure how they would take to a foreigner joining them or if she knew the dances well enough to join in. They graciously invited her to join them. Each time they did a little different dance, so she really was winging it and just watching and learning as she went. As you can tell, she drew a crowd. I suppose they were all interested in this American girl dancing their dances! We were so proud of her and she was so glad she had the courage to go up and ask!


Here she is in a posed picture with them afterwards....

9 comments:

Susannah said...

How great is that? I enjoyed every minute of it. Joy is so cute! Great job!

Susannah

Dawn said...

Oh Joy, what a little dancer you are. Wow, to learn all those steps is wonderful. I was very impressed with you skill. Great job!!!!

Simple Home said...

I loved this. I think I should watch this everyday and learn the dance. What a great workout routine that is. That second song really moved quickly. Joy did a great job! I loved the kids running throughout too, so cute :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Blessed Beyond said...

I'm so glad you shared the video!!! I loved it! She did awesome!!!!!!

Lois Christensen said...

Just wanted to stop in and say CONGRATULATIONS! Love all the pictures of your precious little boy. Hoping you'll be feeling better and get some sleep and Joy's bug bites will be gone soon!!!

Sharon said...

I wanted to say that Joy did a great job. I noticed the lady on the end was having more out of steps that Joy.
Super job Joy, and thanks for sharing this video with us.

At Home With Amy said...

I'll tell you what Tammy. Joy had those dances down as good as anyone else there. That was fabulous. Way to go Joy!!
Hugs,
AMY

Birgit said...

What a wonderful little dancer Joy is! She's just as sweet as can be to jump in there like that and give it a try.
I really enjoyed reading your back home post. I hope this week brings you better health and many smiles. Luke is adorable and looks so happy. May god continue to shine His love down on your family.
Hugs~ Birgit

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Tammy, well I have to say I'm sorry i haven't been here in awhile...but so happy I came now and ready your journey to get Luke...how wonderful and bless you and your family.....
I must say that Joy looked like she had practiced this dance before...she was fantastic!!! Be proud!

Hugs, Karen