Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In Full Bloom

Anyone that knows me well at all, knows that I don't have a green thumb at all! I've learned (the hard way) what I can grow (when it comes to flowers and shrubs). I've tried ferns on my front porch many times....keeping them spritzed and all, but our front porch gets so much wind that they end up drying out and looking spindly! I've tried petunias in hanging baskets on the front porch and they always look so bedragled! Now, I just head straight for the rose moss or spanish moss. They like me and I like them! They love sun, and dryness, and don't mind being neglected....they still grow! :) As a matter of fact, I have some rose moss in pots right now and usually also plant it in my flower boxes on the front porch too.

But, when it comes to bushes, I love my crape myrtles. I was beginning to think they weren't going to bloom this year! I think they were later this year because it was well into July before they ever began blooming and usually it's June. However, now they're in full bloom.....beautiful bursts of pink and fuschia and I am really enjoying them! I thought I'd share them with you today!

This huge one is my favorite.



It is visible outside my kitchen bay window! It is planted as the center of attention in front of the pool deck, near the stairs. I guess we did okay when we planted it there as we did all of our own landscaping. I can't imagine paying out the kind of money it costs to have it professionally done. We are do-it-yourself(ers) out of necessity! :)







These are in our front yard along our side of the driveway.



These are in my mama and daddy's front yard (next door) along their side of the driveway. We both have this same split rail fence lining the driveway.



And last of all, there's my Jason out there mowing our grass! I offered to mow it, because he was busy helping my dad tear out a bathtub for a bathroom remodel they were working on most of Sunday afternoon, but he wouldn't hear of it! He does such a great job taking care of us!



And thanks to everyone for the kind and encouraging comments on my bathroom! I really appreciate each and every one!

Have a great Tuesday! :)

33 comments:

Marie said...

Your landscaping is beautiful! The crepe myrtles are doing great around here now. One beside our house has gotten huge and my DH said he should have cut it back more that he did last year. Your grass looks so green. It is dry here now and ours is not very pretty. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

You yard is so pretty Tammy - so peaceful and colorful at the same time. It is a welcome place I am sure - especially knowing you are DIY'ers like hubby and I. It is so rewarding, isn't it?

hugs, Linda

Parsley said...

How lovely! Your inside decor and now this...you really have a knack for making things pretty!

Carmen S. said...

Oh those flower bushes are breathtaking!!!! Such a lovely home you have!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

They are beautiful! There are some just like that at my Dad's house. We have some lining our driveway, but they are more pink than fuschia.
Our's usually bloom late in the summer, but we always see lots that bloom earlier than our's. I guess it could be the different variety?
Your yard is as gorgeous as your home!
Enjoy your week!

basketsnprims said...

Tammy ~
Your yard is gorgeous and it's so cool that you share a fence with your parents and can enjoy their beautiful flowers, too. Simon & I are diyer's too, it's so fun working on a project together.
Pam

Susan said...

Lovely indeed.
Susan

Lois Christensen said...

Just beautiful!! You did a great job on the landscaping! I have a hard time with certain flowers and plants here as well and guess what? It's because of the wind! Plants and flowers get so dried out around here. I think I've found some that work and my back porch does look pretty. But it has been trial and error for a few years!! Enjoyed your pictures!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Your landscape is beautiful. We do our own but it doesn't look that good any more. We have both been down for so long that it is looking kind of ragged.
Love your deck.
Molly

Sharon said...

Your landscaping is beautiful.
We did ours also.
That is what we liked about moving to the acreage was to design your own yard.
Your photos are so pretty.
Thanks for sharing.
God bless

arkie said...

Very pretty! Great job of landscaping!

Birgit said...

Oh how pretty and lush everything looks! You and Jason certainly have a gift of working together. We're diy'ers too and I wouldn't have it any other way. Trial and error is the best teacher.
Hugs~ Birgit

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ said...

Mommy,

I love our yard!!!!!!!!! That Crape Murtel got a little bit to bloomy for it's own good, didn't it? LOL!!!!!!!!!! Love you more!! Thanks for everything you do!!!!

8!

Love, Joy =D

Stephanie said...

I think you have a green thumb- your yard is wonderul! Thanks for sharing these with us- Im headed to look at your bathroom pics now.......

Never So Simple said...

Looks beautiful as always! I love the colors and the fence is my favorite. I always wanted a split rail fence! Your walk way looks so inviting. I'm not much when it comes to a green thumb either but I love to pretend I have one. LOL!

Donna

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Hey there Tammy, I love that plant and I love your landscaping and the fencing too..you did a great job..we too are do it your selfers..like it better that way..and it saves us money...your place is beautiful..;)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

it is gorgeous! it looks to me like you have a pretty good green thumb. and such a huge lawn....that is nice. big enough for badminton or crochet....

Kimberly C. said...

Crepe myrtles are one of my faves! I have two in my yard, hoping to plant more soon.

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Are those kinda like rhodedendrons? Just asking... lol. They sure are beautiful.

Just looked at the new bath... Girl I think we are kin... I had the same counter top and fixtures in my house that we sold. We have good taste!!! lol

Mary

Julie said...

What a nice yard--it looks so inviting and well-kept. Love it. I mow our lawn--it's the farm girl in me. My hubby doesn't expect me to, I just do it because I tell him it is one job I do that lasts a whole week!! take care, tammy---Julie

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi Tammy,
I don't have a green thumb either but found out that a Boston fern doesn't do well on my front porch, just on the back porch. Just trial and error for me too.LOL

Love your landscaping...it looks just wonderful:)
Rondell

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, I happened upon your blog. Your landscaping is just beautiful and I love your deck. Everything is very pretty here.

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Just Beautiful,Tammy!
Beautiful Home.
Beautiful surroudings.


hugs-kath

CozyGirl said...

Your yard is beautiful Tammy! I love all the space you have. Wish my yard looked that nice. I have not done a good job gardening this year! :-)Have a good Wednesday!
Janae

Nancy M. said...

Your yard is beautiful! I'm like you, I am not good at keeping things alive. But, you are giving me hope! It's awesome that you did it yourself!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What beautiful blooms, Tammy!

green gables girl said...

That's beautiful property that you have! The plants that you do have are wonderful!

Did you see the eclipse?
LL

A Bit of Colour said...

Your landscaping is beautiful! You did a fantsatic job on your yard. I don't think I would have paid anybody either. That bush is beautiful.

Elle Bee said...

Hi Tammy, first visit here and I love your blog! Your garden is beautiful. I have a crepe myrtle that is planted in our front yard (south facing in Central California). It's been there for 4 years and hates life. It has barely grown at all since we planted it. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Tammy, your flowers are absolutely beautiful!! Your landscaping is sooo very pretty also! You & Jason have done such beautiful work together on both the inside and outside of your lovely home!
Thanks for sharing pictures of your gorgeous home with me too Tammy!! :)

Love & Blessings,
~Lynn

Paula said...

Everything looks so beautiful, Tammy! Your landscaping and yard are so pretty! I love the fence, too- it looks so neat.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Your landscaping is so pretty Tammy! Along with your parents. I know you and your family put a lot of love in your spaces. :)

Amber said...

Oh my goodness! Your landscaping is beautiful! Great job!