Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Goodwill Bowl Experiment - Watcha Workin' On Wednesday

Where has the time gone? I can't believe it's Wednesday. I haven't posted since Sunday! My friend, Betty, just emailed me this message, "Today is Wednesday. It's time to change your blog. Love you anyway, Betty." How's that for motivation (or pressure)??? Okay, okay, Mrs. Betty, I'm changing it! :)

Today, I don't really have that much to share, but I thought I'd show you something that I experimented with and thought it turned out okay. It suits me fine, anyway.

I bought a couple of these bowls at Goodwill. You know the kind of thin salad type bowls? I don't know what they're made of or called.



Anyway, I think I paid .59 for them. One was the larger bowl and one was a regular salad serving size bowl. I figured for that price, I might could make it look like a regular prim wooden bowl. So I set out to work on it.

Here's the larger one when I finished. I used what I had here again. I used the paint we had used on Joy's creamy white desk with a few drops of Americana paint in Antique Gold. After a couple of coats of this, I antiqued it with my trusty antique glaze. I really do like the way it turned out. I painted the smaller one black (but didn't get a picture of it).



I already have it in use somewhere in my kitchen, but since I told you I'm tweaking in the kitchen, that will wait for another post. Since my little gathering is not complete just yet, I will wait and share it when it's all put together.

Thanks for peeking at my little Goodwill experiment today! To see what everyone's up to today, check out Leslie's Watcha Workin' on Wednesday.

I hope you all have a great Wednesday!

22 comments:

CozyGirl said...

The bowl looks great Tammy! Have a good April Fool's Day!:-)
Janae

Janene said...

I am so glad that you posted this...with this bowl!
I bought the same one, in the larger size, at my GW.
It has been sitting in the bag since I bought it because I didn't know what to do with it!
Yours turned out great...so now I am not so afraid to start it!
I think I will work on it today! Which one did you like best? The black one or the creamy white one?
Happy April Fool's Day!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

LOL - I sure hope I don't have the blog police emailing me when I don't have time to post as often. How sweet that she misses you when are busy with life!!

What a great redo! I need to find me some old bowls!!

Happy April!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

They turned out great Tammy! I think I'm going to redo the wooden one from GW that I just stained...blue maybe? lol.
Rondell

Zaroga said...

I have seen those bowls around before. Love what you did with it!

Lois Christensen said...

The bowl looks great! Amazing how you can turn something that looks pretty ordinary into something cute! Enjoy your day!

Never So Simple said...

Ok I really need to start going to the GW. :) Once again I am impressed by another GW find. Paint fixes everything doesn't it.

Betty's not the only one misses you when you don't post. :)

Donna

Susan said...

That's an interesting transformation.
Susan

Leslie said...

Nice makeover :)

I have a few of those bowls, too. I just painted them and pretended they were regular old wooden bowls :) It works!

Have a great day!

Leslie

Denise said...

I love how the bowl turned out. I have seen many of those at GW. Next time I'm going to buy one and try to transform it!

Have a great day, Denise

Mandy said...

I have some of those bowls and I really didn't know what to do with them. Thanks for showing us your idea, Tammy - it looks great!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting today. I like being called the blog police. You remember that. I just miss getting to read your blog everyday. Reading your blog is the first thing I do when I turn my computer on in the morning. By the way, I liked the pineapple cutting board transformation. The bowl is really pretty too. Just remember, I do love you. Have a happy April Fool's Day. It is not so happy for me. MawMaw died today a year ago. It doesn't seem like it been a year.

Love,
Betty

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Happy April Fools Day!
Love your re-did bowl!
Can't wait to see your tweak pics :)

Enjoy your day, Tammy.

hugs-Kath

Julie said...

I love the vision you have when you re-do things. I wish I had that talent. Have a nice day. Julie

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Hey Tammy! The bowl looks great! Can't have too many prim bowls! I hope you have a great day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds like your friend Betty is trying to keep you 'on the straight and narrow'... I guess we all need people to give us a 'push' sometimes!!!! But--you are on incredibly busy young woman.. I'm sure you run out of day before you run out of your list.. As I'e said before, just do what you have to and then what you want to..If you don't have time to blog and if it's not on your list, then don't do it!!!! Just some advice from someone who lived 'busy' for too many years!!!! ha

Love the bowl.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Those bowls take me back to when I was little. Remember those quite vividly. :) Look great primmed up.

Birgit said...

Who would have ever thought that was one of those salad bowls. It came out great, Tammy!
Your friend Betty seems like a sweetheart! That made me laugh. :)
Hugs & blessings~ Birgit

Shelley said...

Everyone needs a Betty!! LOL! Loved that she reminded you to post. You have great taste in bowls!

Sandy said...

I was wondering if those bowls were easy to finish or not and I see now that they are. So that means I know what I will be looking for this year at Yard Sales :)))

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I have some of those bowls around, too, and just might have to do something with them. Just love what you did here! Perfect!

Cora

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Tammy; You did a great job on the bowl make over. It looks like a wood bowl to me. I bet the black one looks great as well...

Hugs;
Alaura