Friday, June 27, 2008

Simply......Blackberry Cobbler

The other day my daddy brought home a pint jar of blackberries that he picked off our land in Alabama. He wondered if we might be interested in making either blackberry jam or cobbler as a treat....especially since they DID come off our land!



I didn't really know if we had enough berries to work with and I wasn't keen on trying the jam (for that amount of berries anyway). I'm hearing all sorts of stories about making jam! If you haven't read it yet...check Cora out on her blog, Hidden Riches in Secret Places, for her funny jam story! So...I decided it would be a cobbler with these blackberries providing we had enough to make one!

So..I asked the lovely Lea of Farmhouse Blessings if she had a good recipe.....a simple recipe for making a cobbler for this pint jar of blackberries. I knew if anybody had a good one, she would! She came to my rescue! Thanks so much Lea! Here's her recipe (in her words exactly):

Here is a quick little recipe for using those berries:

1 C self rising flour
1 C sugar
1 C milk
3/4 stick butter
fruit
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and place in 2 qt. baking dish. Mix flour, sugar and milk in separate bowl. Beat until well mixed. Pour over melted butter. Do NOT stir. Add fruit. Do NOT stir.

Bake at 350 until crust rises and browns.

Very simple but very yummy!


This afternoon I made the little cobbler. I wanted my dad to have a taste before he left to go out of town on his fishing trip later this afternoon.

Here's the cobbler fresh from the oven:



Daddy stopped by right after work (that's why he's still all in uniform) and gave it a taste test with good ole melted butter on top:



He gave it a thumbs up! He had two pieces before he left, so he really did like it alot! I did too! Thanks so much, Lea, for giving me this quick, easy recipe!



It's exciting and gratifying to take something that is grown on our land (or even better that we grow) and make something from it that's yummy to eat! We're hoping to have a garden next year...but for now I'm happy with this simple little blackberry cobbler......

11 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Anything you make from homegrown fruits or vegetables always tastes different. My MIL picked some of my strawberries and made a pie to take to work with her and one of the ladies asked if she could take a piece for her Dad. Her Dad loved it and said that he could taste that they were homegrown strawberries and not store bought. So then I sent some of my with my MIL to him.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

That looks yummy and much like the recipe for bluberry cobbler we made with the berries that grew near my home growing up. How sweet your dad got to enjoy some too!

hugs, Linda

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love the picture of your dad. :) The cobbler looks so yummy! I will have to add that to my never ending list of great blog recipes!! Have a great weekend!

Jo-Anne said...

Your cobbler looks so yummy!!
I never thought I would miss gardening as much as I do since moving to AZ. It's a whole different prospect out here in the desert. I've heard it can be done, though, and that gives me hope that I will again be able to grow a few things!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Tammy, you are so sweet! And I'm glad that you dad enjoyed the cobbler. Love that photo. Such a blessing.

We are picking our berries today for jam, but I'm putting aside a pint or two for a cobbler as well. My husband sure does enjoy it!

Right now I'm in the middle of making my plum preserves but I thought before I get them cooking I'd check to see if anyone has a better recipe. The one I have seems TOO simple ... can that be possible? LOL Well I'm off to give it a try.

Have a blessed weekend!
Lea

Julie said...

Oh, Tammy!
Your Daddy is so sweet! To bring you those berries and then to give you a thumbs up!!! He looks like such a sweetie!

And Lea....isn't she just the best?
Love her!!!

I can't wait to get our blackberry bushes in the ground -- I hope they hang in there for us....
We'll be swapping blackberry recipes next year!

Blessings,
Julie

Black Sheep Lisa said...

Looks so yummy! Dad sure seems to be enjoying every bite!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Those blackberries -- and your cobbler -- look divine, Tammy!!! Another new favorite to add to my recipe box...

Have a great weekend, my friend :)

Shirlee said...

I've never had cobbler, but the recipe looks easy and your Dad's "thumbs up" approval makes me want to try it.
I'm not sure if we get blackberries here, would other fruit work?

Paula said...

Thanks so much for posting this recipe, Tammy... the berries behind our house will be ready to pick this weekend... and now I know what to do with them!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Ooh, my dh is going out to pick blackberries tomorrow morning down by the railroad tracks. I will make a sour cream blackberry pie--yummy. The recipe is on my parker's general blog with all my recipes. Cobbler is good too. We have been enjoying the strawberries with rhubarb and strawberries with blueberries in cobblers/ crisps. I am starting to drool thinking about it!!!!!