Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Little Summer Fireplace Decor

I don't ever drastically change the fireplace decor (at least not very often). I usually do seasonal decor added in someway. I guess it's great that I've never tired of Americana. Even at Christmas time, I mix my prim/Americana with my Christmas decor. (Actually next to Christmas, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday too!)

But now it's summer time...THE time for Americana decor. I love looking at all the flags and everybody's twist on Americana decor. I just never tire of it! I'm drawn to it really!

Here's what my fireplace is looking like these days:



The Betsy Ross flag hanging above the fireplace mantle was on my wish list for awhile. It's one of my few decor splurges that I paid more for than I cared to! I bought it with birthday money though.

I really also have "thing" for birdhouses. I have them displayed on the mantle. Most of these were handmade and bought in little shops. Some were gifts from family members.. ..but ALL are special to me.



The one here on this end (with the red roof) that says "Liberty Inn" plays the Star Spangled Banner. I just love our national anthem and I get a big lump in my throat everytime I hear it! My sister in law bought that one for us for our anniversary one year while we were in Eureka Springs on vacation with her and my brother and my mom and dad. I believe I might have "treated" myself to the God Bless America one (the white one on the left end) on that same vacation!



My daddy made the barn one down on the far right end of the mantle. I love it too!
The church one front and center has always been a favorite. At Christmas time, I usually put a little (decorated) grapevine wreath on the door.



Here on the hearth, there's a milk can that my mom bought for me. I had the scene painted on it sometime later. I painted the sunflower sign on a piece of driftwood. A friend came in a few weeks ago with the sunflower bucket declaring that it would go better in my house than hers! (I didn't argue...I loved it!). I added a couple of sunflowers I had around here. Sunflowers are so happy and cheerful to me. I just love both them and daisies...my favorite flowers! The little wagon came from a local crafts fair quite a few years ago. It will probably get a new coat of paint (different color)...I just can't decide what color yet. Inside the wagon are a couple of birdhouses made by Jason and my dad a few years ago.



I bought the Sweet Country Home sign from a crafts vendor at the flea market. It's always been one of my favorite signs. I'm not really sure why I've loved it so....it just is. I've put other signs there and in the end, this one always ends back up there!



Ahhhh......Summer....Americana....they go together so well....and it's such a fun time and fun time to decorate Americana....both inside and out!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

OH I Love all of the Americana, Your Fireplace looks so nice!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I LOVE it!!!! I LOVE americana and have for many years and like you have never tired of it!!! I also love bird houses!!! And your fireplace is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing I love it all!! Have a great night!!~Wendy

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

So very sweet, Tammy. Once again you've created a warm, cheerful, and inviting space. Pure summertime bliss...

Have a great night!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Sooooo neat!!!!! I love Americana year 'round, so this is just up my alley!

And thank you so much for your comments today on my blog. Your prayers mean all the world to me, believe me!!!!!

Cora

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Hi Tammy thanks for your compliments I really appreciate them!!!
When we did the flag we used a light creamy yellow for the "white" stripes and stars, then what I ended up doing to prim it up was dry brush black paint on it here and there and wiped it off some with a rag so it looked aged not like blotches of black paint. Hope this helps you and I can't wait to see yours!!:0) Have a great night!!~Wendy

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Oh I too have Americana year round. I have birdhouses on my porch. LOVE the stone fireplace. That was one of the things I gave up for this house. That and an actual dining room. I too have bought things that I probably paid too much for, but had to have. Great Job Tammy!

Mary

Shirlee said...

Tammy, first off I have to tell you that I love your pool area so much I showed my hubby the pics. I've always wanted one but I seriously don't think we have room and the hubby is less than enthusiastic but a girl can dream right? :)
Your birdhouse collection is wonderful, I especially like the church one. I like sunflowers as well, they're so happy looking. How great that your friend gave you the bucket. Looks great!

blessedmomof3 said...

I always enjoy seeing how you decorate your gorgeous home, Tammy! So many wonderful things to see. I, too, love all the Americana!

Andrea

Black Sheep Lisa said...

Looks great Tammy! I love to decorate my Mantle for the season.
Although my i have a faux fireplace it still creates a focal point. I had alot of Americana for a while, but let some of it go.
But i find myself being drawn back to it!

Angie said...

ohhhh how i wish we had a fireplace..really just to decorate it! lol! your home looks so inviting....i bet it is especially cozy with a fire going. thanks for all your nice comments on my blog today..really made my day! you are such a sweetheart! i will post pics of that flag tomorrow so you can see!

~Angie

Farmhouse Blessings said...

What a beautiful focal point for your room! I just love how you've made it so warm and festive.

Did you find a recipe for blackberry cobbler? I'll will go hunt for mine right now. I am picking tomorrow morning to make jam but I always put some aside for a couple of cobblers as well. My husband loves it.

And my name is prounounced "Lee" though I like "Leah" better!

I'll go get that recipe now just in case you still have some blackberries left!

Smiles,
Lea

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Here is a quick little recipe for using those berries:
1 C self rising flour
1 C sugar
1 C milk
3/4 stick butter
fruit
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter and place in 2 qt baking dish. Mix flour, sugar & milk in separate bowl. Beat until well mixed. Pour over melted butter. Do NOT stir. Add fruit. Do NOT stir.

Bake at 350 until crust rises and browns.

Very simple but very yummy!

Sorry I didn't know how else to contact you so I thought it would be okay to post it here for you to find!

Hugs,
Lea

Free Art Printables said...

Love how you did your fireplace with the flag! So filled with the american spirit! Jen R

Rosemary said...

OOO OOO OOO! lol
I love it love it! It all looks great!

You did a great job with the fireplace. I looks just like a layout for Country Sampler, girl!

As always you rock!

Jo-Anne said...

Your fireplace is so pretty! All your mantle decorations add so much!!! I love it.
I am just getting ready to get out all my Americana things since I finished my table runner on Wednesday....i will be posting about it really soon! :):):)

the said...

I love Americana, I too have it up year round! The flag you have on your mantel is the best, I wish I could find one!
I also like the color of your walls there in the back !
Have a great weekend,
Stephanie

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH I am with you Tammy - we must have Americana in the summer especially. Love the sunflower accents you added as well! I love seeing how you decorate. hugs, Linda

pinetrees on the moor said...

HI Tammy your fire place looks great.Love the bird houses.Thank you for leaving your comment.Still trying to get the hang of things.~kate

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Fourth of July has to be one of my favorites also. Just the atmosphere on that day makes me so happy! I love your fireplace decore! The flag hanging above the mantel is SUPER cool! Americana is so fun! Have a great weekend!

Tammy said...

You have such a wonderful Americana collection! It's so perfect for this time of year, too!

We have a fireplace with similar colors and this makes me want to decorate mine in patriotic colors for the summer, too!

I just have family photos on there...but I do change photos with the season...summery photos go up in the summer!
(And I really go all out at Christmas!)

Your place looks SO charming, Tammy...thanks so much for sharing it with us! :)
~Tammy

Anonymous said...

Love your fireplace and Americana...and also all the birdhouses...thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it

Chanda said...

Love your decor, we have a lot in common in the prim decor dept. Gonna try that BB cobbler recipe from Lea also. I start pick'in tomorrow.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

How gorgeous! I have little flags everywhere in our family room. I love to decorate with stars, hearts and flags.
Happy Fourth of July to you and yours, Tammy!!!!

Kamkoff said...

OOO OOO OOO! lol I love it love it! It all looks great! You did a great job with the fireplace. I looks just like a layout for Country Sampler, girl! As always you rock!